Earth day for dogs?
Happy (belated) Earth Day. Hopefully everyone had a nice green day and even greener rest of the year. Remember, want not, waste not! And of course, if you’re a pet owner, you can actually make your pet “environment friendly” too:
• Look for kitty litter made from sawmill scrap, recycled paper, wheat or corn that is biodegradable, flushable, lighter and less smelly. Biodegradable litter-pan liners also are available.
• Clean up your dog’s mess. Bacteria washed into waterways can starve ponds of oxygen and kill aquatic life. Use biodegradable poop bags.
• As a flea repellent, try Brewer’s yeast or garlic on the pet’s food.
• Adopt a homeless animal and have the new pet spayed or neutered to reduce overpopulation.
• Grow your own catnip.
• Consider switching to organic pet food. Read the labels so you know what’s in your pet’s food.
• Shop for beds, toys and collars made from recyclable materials. Or make your own.
• Don’t adjust your home thermostat for your pets while you’re out. They will find a cool spot if the thermostat is set at 80 to 85 degrees during the summer.
• Keep your cat indoors, especially at night when it is more likely to kill wildlife.
Insane, you say?
Let’ make our dogs green and eat some hay!
* End of sarcasm *